March 5, 2013

REPORT BLAMES CLIMATE CHANGE FOR EXTREMES IN AUSTRALIA

[Climate scientists have long hesitated to link individual weather events directly to climate change. Australian climate scientists in particular have been cautious to connect the two in part because of the country’s naturally occurring cycles of drought and flooding rains, which are already extreme when compared with much of the rest of the world.]
By Matt Siegel
Chris Hyde/Getty Images
A man comforted his daughter on their roof as they inspected damage to 
their neighborhood after a flooding in the wake of Tropical Cyclone Oswald 
on January 29 in Bundaberg, Australia.
SYDNEY, Australia — Climate change was a major driving force behind a string of extreme weather events that alternately scorched and soaked large sections of Australia in recent months, according to a report issued Monday by the government’s Climate Commission.
A four-month heat wave during the Australian summer culminated in January in bush fires that tore through the eastern and southeastern coasts of the country, where most Australians live. Those record-setting temperatures were followed by torrential rains and flooding in the more densely populated states of New South Wales and Queensland that left at least six people dead and caused roughly $2.43 billion in damage along the eastern seaboard.
Climate scientists have long hesitated to link individual weather events directly to climate change. Australian climate scientists in particular have been cautious to connect the two in part because of the country’s naturally occurring cycles of drought and flooding rains, which are already extreme when compared with much of the rest of the world.
But the report from the Climate Commission, titled “The Angry Summer,” argues that the frequency and ferocity of recent extreme weather events indicate an acceleration that is unlikely to abate unless serious steps are taken to prevent further changes to the planet’s environment.
“I think one of the best ways of thinking about it is imagining that the base line has shifted,” Tim Flannery, the commission’s leader, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. “If an athlete takes steroids, for example, their base line shifts. They’ll do fewer slow times and many more record-breaking fast times.”
“The same thing is happening with our climate system,” he said. “As it warms up, we’re getting fewer cold days and cold events and many more record hot events.”
The commission is an independent panel of experts that issues reports on behalf of the government but is not subject to its direction or oversight.
At least 123 weather records fell during the 90-day period the report examined. Included were milestones like the hottest summer on record, the hottest day for Australia as a whole and the hottest seven consecutive days ever recorded. To put it into perspective, in the 102 years since Australia began gathering national records, there have been 21 days when the country averaged a high of more than 102 degrees Fahrenheit (39 Celsius), and eight of them were in 2013.
The author of the report, Will Steffen, said the findings were consistent with an overall global acceleration of weather factors like rising temperatures and heavier rains attributed by scientists to human-caused climate change.
“Over the last 50 years, we’ve seen a doubling of the record hot days, we’re getting twice as much record hot weather than we did in the mid-20th century,” he told ABC. “In fact, if you look at the last decade, we’re getting three times as many record hot days as we are record cold days, so the statistics are telling us, too, that there’s an influence on extreme events — they’re shifting.”
“Statistically, there is a 1-in-500 chance that we are talking about natural variation causing all these new records,” Mr. Steffen, the director of the Climate Change Institute at Australian National University, told The Sydney Morning Herald. “Not too many people would want to put their life savings on a 500-to-1 horse.”

IN BRITAIN,THE ‘ENEMY’ WAS JUST LIKE ME

[The second Pakistani I met was a gorgeous 20-something fellow student at my university. She was from Karachi. I met her through a common friend. Her idols were Benazir Bhutto, Shah Rukh Khan and the Beatles. On Friday nights, she’d hit the clubs, dressed to kill, but was very careful not to smoke or drink.]
By Rahul Joglekar
Dan Kitwood/Getty Images
A street in West Ham, London, which has a significant
South Asian immigrant population.
Before coming to London, I had never met a Pakistani in my life.
Growing up in India, Pakistan was just a concept. And growing up in a military family (my father was in the Indian Navy) meant conversations about Pakistan didn’t leave much room for nuance.
By the time I moved to England in 2008, I had come into my own world view:  If Pakistan is the enemy country, all Pakistanis must most definitely be enemies.
My first encounter with a Pakistani was at a corner shop in North London, where I lived at the time. He was from Lahore, he said, and left some 40 years ago for a “better life.” He was an old man with a magnificent white beard and kind eyes.
I always saw him through the prism of the country he came from.  But he was always talkative and warm. While transacting over a pint of milk, he’d always bring up the most British of topics — the weather. He once asked me to buy a warmer jacket than the one I was wearing. “We often underestimate how cold it can get in the winter here,” he said.
“We?” I thought. “Who is we?”
With that one word, he had established a commonness that hitherto I had ignored. After that day, our conversations got longer, and I’d often look forward to talking to him about his life experiences — the racism he faced in the 1970s, the problems of raising children in a foreign country and the longing he felt for “home,” even 40 years after migrating from Pakistan.
We never talked about Kashmir, diplomacy or religion. If I happened to mention something political, he’d just nod his head and say, “Two brothers separated at birth will always be brothers. Even if the politicians try to break us.” It was almost as if with that one sentence he had resolved the India-Pakistan situation in his head.
When Pakistan won a cricket match against India, he’d always tease me, and I never forgot to return the favor when India won a match.
The second Pakistani I met was a gorgeous 20-something fellow student at my university. She was from Karachi. I met her through a common friend. Her idols were Benazir Bhutto, Shah Rukh Khan and the Beatles. On Friday nights, she’d hit the clubs, dressed to kill, but was very careful not to smoke or drink.
She may have easily seen more Bollywood films than I ever will, and she never talked politics with me. “What do you think of Kashmir?” I once asked her. She replied, “It is all your fault, but I will forgive you if you promise to set up a meeting with SRK if and when I come to Mumbai.” And she laughed. And I did too.
She wasn’t the enemy.
And then I met a medical student during my hunt for a house to share in London. He was the only one who made a cup of chai for me as I inspected the flat. Still, I eventually decided not to take the room. Sharing a house with a Pakistani was something I was not going to do. I am to this day ashamed of not taking the flat.
I ended up living in an apartment with a quiet Japanese banker who never spoke. It served me right.
In the past five years that I’ve lived in London, I’ve met so many Pakistanis — cab drivers, barbers, doctors  and colleagues. Every single time, it has been a pleasant exchange. These “enemies” adore our celebrities, eat the same food we do and look and behave like us too.
In England, Indians and Pakistanis share an identity and an immigrant experience that unites us, overcoming the boundaries that separate us back home.
Suddenly, I have begun to wonder who the real “enemy” was, if there really was one at all.