February 15, 2012

NEPALESE FASHION DESIGNER PRABAL GURUNG TALKS ON HIS SHOW IN NEW YORK

[Nepalese fashion designer Prabal Gurung presented his fall 2012 collection in a show called “Uncursed” on Saturday at the IAC building in Chelsea as part of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. The 42 looks were a play on heaven and hell with dark blue and deep black pieces starting the lineup and ones in ethereal gold and white closing it. But while shiny fabrics and sequins throughout epitomized the glamor that Mr. Gurung has become known for, the overall theme wasn’t as feminine as his past collections.]
By Shivani Vora 
Eduardo Munoz/Reuters
Models showcased the Prabal Gurung fall and winter 
2012 collection,  during the New York Fashion Week on
 Saturday.
Nepalese fashion designer Prabal Gurung presented his fall 2012 collection in a show called “Uncursed” on Saturday at the IAC building in Chelsea as part of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. The 42 looks were a play on heaven and hell with dark blue and deep black pieces starting the lineup and ones in ethereal gold and white closing it. But while shiny fabrics and sequins throughout epitomized the glamor that Mr. Gurung has become known for, the overall theme wasn’t as feminine as his past collections.
Rabbani and Solimene Photography/Getty Images
Designer Prabal Gurung, posing backstage with a 
model wearing one of his creations, 
during the Fashion Week. 
Notable personalities who turned out to catch the dark versus light presentation included actress Zoe Saldana, model Coco Rocha, celebrity stylist and reality TV star Brad Goreski and Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour. 
When Mr. Gurung debuted his first collection three years ago in New York City’s Bryant Park, the fashion elite were taken by his designs, and his accolades have been numerous since: he was selected as the runner-up for the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund in 2010 and won the Ecco Domani Fashion Fund Award that same year which gives grants to promising new designers. He also counts a diverse range of high-profile women as his regular clientele including Michelle Obama and Demi Moore.
Mr. Gurung, who declined to give his age, finished school in New Delhi and started in the fashion world by apprenticing with Indian designer Manish Arora. He eventually attended Parsons School of Design in Manhattan and worked for Cynthia Rowley and Bill Blass before starting his own line.
Amid the pre-show frenzy where makeup artists and stylists put the final touches on the models, photographers rushed to get last shots of the designs while they were still on racks and more than a dozen production assistants exchanged updates through their headsets. Mr. Gurung, who wore a simple black T-shirt and blue jeans, took a few minutes to chat with India Ink.
Q.
What was your inspiration for this collection?
A.
I was in pursuit of inventing something that was spiritual and exciting which made me look within. I realized we’re dealing with a duality, the dark side and the light. All of us have it. You have it, I have it. We all have that demons and angels aspect, and the collection is about learning to be comfortable with it. I opened the door to the dark side just a little bit, and there are a lot of things that happened when it came to designing. Besides that, I was inspired by the painting the “The Adoration of [the Mystic] Lamb” and the cow skull by Georgia O’Keefe. All of them have a spiritual connotation.
Stephen Chernin/Associated PressA model wearing designer Prabal Gurung’s creation, during his show titled “Uncursed.”

Q.
Do you have a favorite piece?
A.
All 42 looks are my favorite.
Q.
Has your style evolved since your first collection three years ago?
A.
As I’m growing as a person, I think the style also evolves. The girl who wears the style remains the same, but I like to think that she is also evolving.
Q.
Who is the girl?
A.
Intelligent, beautiful, aware. For me, flighty, frivolous girls are so uninspiring.
Q.
Did working with Manish Arora shape your aesthetic?
A.
When I think about Manish, I think about his courage. The courage to step out of boundaries and challenge them, and that is the one thing I have really taken with me as a designer.
Q.
What is your hope for the future of your brand?
A.
The goal is to create a lifestyle brand that is based on integrity and timeless appeal.
Q.
What’s your personal style?
A.
I don’t think about it all. I get busy designing clothes for women and don’t pay much attention to what I wear.
Q.
What’s your connection to India and Nepal today?
A.
My family is there. My brother is in India, and my sister and mom are in Nepal. I was just on Skype with them. I go back once a year in March so my trip is coming up. In fact, I am traveling there this time with my group of friends from the city.
Q.
Do you have a go-to place for Nepalese or Indian food in the city?
A.
My cousin’s kitchen in Manhattan!