August 22, 2010

TEEN HOUSEMAID BEATEN 'BLACK AND BLUE' IN KATHMANDU: RECOUNTS HORROR OF BRUTAL ASSAULT BY HER EMPLOYER

 [Baburam Khatiwada, an eyewitness recounted a harrowing tale, and said the alleged victim was found lying semi-naked when they saw her being beaten by the Khadka couple. "The couple had assaulted her by locking up her in a room for allegedly stealing two tilaharis (jewelries such as: a piece of gold ornament worn by Hindu married women), three earrings and a finger ring," he shared.

The teenage girl pleaded innocent through sign language. "I never stole the gold ornaments. Prashuram Khadka had given me a tilahari with the promise of marrying me, and I returned it to him later. On August 18 after mercilessly assaulting, Kamala locked me up in a room. Prashuram was with me in the room when Kamala locked the door from outside. He raped me at the time,"]


The Himalayan Times
Sabin Chandra Acharya

KATHMANDU: Bimala Kumari Pun (17) cannot speak and hear, but she is able to use sign language to communicate with others.

Her presence in a press meet organized by an alliance of 10 rights bodies in Kathmandu on Sunday left everyone shocked and speechless when they saw her limping flanked by women volunteers. Actually, Pun with her face swollen and body parts bruised was brought there from hospital bed to show her condition.
According to rights activists and eyewitness, teen Ms Pun, a housemaid, was stripped and beaten black and blue by her employers Parshuram Khadka and his wife Kamal accusing her of stealing gold ornaments weighing two tolas in their house in Kapan- 3 on August 18. She was employed in the house only a couple of months ago.

Baburam Khatiwada, an eyewitness recounted a harrowing tale, and said the alleged victim was found lying semi-naked when they saw her being beaten by the Khadka couple. "The couple had assaulted her by locking up her in a room for allegedly stealing two tilaharis (jewelries such as: a piece of gold ornament worn by Hindu married women), three earrings and a finger ring," he shared.

The teenage girl pleaded innocent through sign language. "I never stole the gold ornaments. Prashuram Khadka had given me a tilahari with the promise of marrying me, and I returned it to him later. On August 18 after mercilessly assaulting, Kamala locked me up in a room. Prashuram was with me in the room when Kamala locked the door from outside. He raped me at the time,"

Renu Sharma, a woman rights activist aligned with Mahila Aadharshila quoted Pun as saying. Parshuram pleaded not guilty of raping and assaulting. "It was my wife (Kamala) who beat her black and blue on the suspicion of stealing the gold ornaments which has gone missing. Kamala did not respect my order when I told her not to fall upon her without any evidence," claimed Parshuram.

However, Kamala has confessed to assaulting her. "I stripped her and assaulted after her itchy hands infuriated me beyond the limit," she told the police officials. Rights activists have taken it as an attempt to murder, and urged the police to take stern action against the guilty and deliver justice to the victim.

Metropolitan Police Circle, Boudha, has arrested Parshuram for further investigation into the incident, while Kamala has been kept in the custody of Gaushala Police. Parshuram has been indicted under "Rape Chapter" of Civil Code and Kamala as his accomplice. Pun was taken to Thapathali Maternity Hospital to examine whether or not she was raped. "The report will come to use within four days," he informed.

Pun is undergoing treatment in Stupa Community Hospital, Bouddha, under the protection of rights bodies.